If you have been following this blog for a while now, you know I love my pancakes. I do not think one can run out of ideas on how to flavour them and what to enjoy them with.
Like this Choco orange flavoured ones, made even more decadent with a chocolatey cream cheese sauce and some sprinkles to top! Yum!
These are special occasion pancakes, they would be perfect for a Mother’s Day breakfast, or a special one’s birthday. If my Mum was close to where I live, I would make this for her as it’s her birthday today. So this is for the woman who I watched make pancakes and learnt from her. I love you Mummy!
I like using self raising flour for my pancakes, preferably the Exe brand that is available in Kenya and Uganda. It has never failed me.
We will need:-
- 2 cups sifted self raising flour.
- 1/2 cup caster sugar.
- 2 eggs.
- 1 3/4 cups of natural yoghurt.
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp of ground nutmeg.
- 1/3 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice.
- 1 tsp vanilla.
- 2 tbsp dark cocoa powder.
- 2 tbsp milk.
1.Mix the flour and the sugar well, make a well in the middle and add the eggs, yoghurt, nutmeg, oil and vanilla. Add the orange juice last. Mix well but do don’t overdo it.
2. In a bowl, mix the cocoa with the milk into a thick paste, and add 1/3 of the pancake batter, mix well.
3. Let both batters rest for about 15- 20 minutes.
4. Heat your non stick pan, ensure it is clean and dry before spooning the batter alternately. I used a 1/2 measuring cup for the white batter and a tablespoon for the chocolate. You can swirl the pan, or leave it as is.
5. Cook like normal pancake, flipping when bubbles begin to form at the top. I do not add oil when cooking as I had put some in the batter.
On to the cream cheese sauce. You will need 1/2 cup of softened cream cheese, 1/4 cup of icing sugar, 1/4 cup of milk, 1 tsp of vanilla and a tablespoon of dark cocoa powder. Mix well together (you can use a food processor).
I served by rolling the pancakes and drizzling the cream cheese sauce on top, and added some chocolate sprinkles. How’s that for decadence?
Perfect for weekend breakfast or as a brunch dish, or Pajama parties. Win!
The pancakes are so delicious, orange and chocolate are truly a winning combination. And the cheese sauce, oh that’s the crown to top it all off.
Try this and let me know what you think.