This is an easy one bowl banana bread with blackstrap molasses. The bananas are some green ones I had that ripened before I got to cooking the last of the harvested batch from our garden.
Yes. You can use green banana too if they ripen before you get to cook them. Do not throw them out. If they are more than you can use, peel and freeze them in ziplock bags.
I do the same with fast ripening yellow banana and plantains. I pack three to four at a time and they come in handy when baking quick bread, for smoothies and pancakes too.
I used blackstrap molasses to make it healthy and I need the iron boost. The flavour is not overpowering and blends well with the mixed spices and makes the bread have a dark rich colour.
This is a straightforward recipe. You will need:-
- 1/3 cup blackstrap molasses
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 5-overripe green bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil – I like using coconut oil
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp mixed spices blend (mine had ground cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger and cardamom).
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp caramel essence, vanilla will work too.
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (optional).
- Blend the wet ingredients and pour into a bowl, add the dry ingredients to it. mix and add to your parchment lined cake pan.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for about an hour, (start checking at 50 minutes mark), till skewer comes out clean.
Definitely worth a try!