The title is a mouthful I know, but imagine red velvet and cream cheese goodness in one bite? Yum!
These muffins are moist, colourful, flavourful and not at all hard to make.
The cream cheese swirl makes them even more beautiful and delicious.
• 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour.
• 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder.
• 1/2 tsp salt.
• 1/2 cup of softened unsalted butter.
• 1 cup of sugar.
• 1 egg
• 3/4 cup buttermilk. Made by adding some lemon juice to whole milk, and let it stand a while till it thickens.
• 1 tbsp red food colouring. ( I used liquid).
• 1 tsp vanilla essence.
• 1/2 tsp of apple cider vinegar.
• 1/2 tsp baking soda.
For the swirl, our ingredients are:-
• 2 – 3 tbsp softened cream cheese.
• 1/4 cup caster sugar.
• 1/2 tsp vanilla
• 1 egg.
Preheat oven at 180°C and line a 12 hole muffin tin.
• In a small bowl, add the buttermilk, then the food colour and vanilla.
• In a larger bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder and salt. Mix well together.
• Mix the softened butter with the sugar, then add the egg. Mix well.
• Add part of the flour mixture then the buttermilk, mix gently then add again till it is all mixed well and smooth, but do not overdo it.
• In another small bowl, mix the baking soda and vinegar well, it will fizz up and add to the red velvet batter. Mix gently together then spoon into the prepared muffin cases.
• For the swirl, mix the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and egg till smooth. Add about 2 teaspoonfuls of the mixture on each of the prepared muffin batter.
(I always end up overfilling mine.😅)
• You can swirl with a toothpick or teaspoon.
• Bake for 15- 20 minutes. Dependent on oven. Check with a toothpick for doneness from the 15 minute mark.
They smell, look and taste so good. They rarely last in our house, end up being gobbled up very fast.
They are so delicious but not too sweet. The cream cheese adds a lovely tanginess that blends well with the mild red velvet chocolatey flavour.
They are great for tea time or even to gift some friends. Please try it and let me know how yours turned out.