We love our banana bread in this house, as it is, with chocolate, with yoghurt, with nuts and now with berries.
The best thing about this cake is it works well with whichever berries you have on hand. I have made it with blueberries, strawberries and raspberries and it always turns out great. I have also made with with sugar, and honey and it turned out well too.
This is a perfect treat for breakfast, tea time, school snack, dessert and even as a gift for a loved who loves banana bread.
Let us get started.
1. 2 1/2 cups self raising flour. (If using All purpose flour, remember to add 11/4 tsp of baking powder and 1 tsp baking soda, plus a small pinch of salt).
2. 1 level tsp ground cinnamon.
3. 1 tbsp desiccated coconut (optional).
4. 1 1/2 cup sugar or sweet honey.
5. 4 large mashed really ripe bananas.
6. 1 cup frozen strawberries or raspberries. (I usually let them thaw a bit and mash roughly).
7. 1/3 cup coconut oil (or vegetable oil).
8. 2 large eggs.
9. 1 tsp vanilla.
10. 1 cup strawberry or mixed berry yoghurt.
1. Preheat oven to 180 °C and grease your baking tin really well.
3. Sift your flour and cinnamon in a large bowl, add the coconut and mix well.
4. In another bowl, mix the oil, sugar and eggs till well combined, then add the mashed banana and berries, followed by the vanilla.
5. Add dry ingredients to the wet as well as the yoghurt. Be careful not to overmix.
6. Add the batter to the pan and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hr, till cake is ready and a skewer comes out clean. I usually lower the temperature to about 160 after twenty minutes, and it takes about the same time to bake.
7. Let cake rest in pan for ten minutes then flip it carefully onto a rack and let cool completely in an airy area.
Baking times may vary as ovens are different so start checking at about the 50 minutes mark.
Cut a slice and enjoy it!
Tip: I love making it in my bundt pan, but it works well in any large baking tin.
It looks, smells and tastes so good. It is moist and crumbs beautifully too. Definitely worth a try don’t you think?
2 thoughts on “Berry Good Banana Bread.”
You’re doing a great job!
LikeLiked by 1 person