This is a tasty way to switch up your pancake game. Instead of the usual sweet fluffy breakfast fare, why not try a savoury pancake, served with baked beans, eggs and smashed avocado for a yummy brunch at home option?
Our ingredients for the pancakes are :-
- 3 medium really ripe plantains.
- Some coriander, a bit of onion, green pepper and garlic, all finely chopped.
- 1 tsp mixed spices blend.
- 2tbsp chia seeds soaked in 6 tbsp water ( as an egg substitute for 2 eggs).
- 2 cups self raising flour.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- 2 cups of natural yoghurt.
- 1 full tablespoon Coconut oil.
- A splash of Apple cider vinegar.
Peel and mash your plantain into a puree. You can use your blender.
Then add the chia “eggs”, yoghurt and oil into the plantain puree, as well as the chopped vegetables mix.
Add the flour, mix well then add the mixed spices and a pinch of salt then the ACV till it is a thickish mixture.
Let the batter rest a while, before making them just like regular pancakes, but a bit smaller, using a tablespoon to add the batter to the pan.
They are fluffy, soft, smell so good and very delicious. The ripe plantains offer their natural sweetness, the vegetables are hard to see but coupled with the spice offer a wonderful savoury flavour, the chia seeds act as the binder but still offer a bit of crunch and the acv boosts the pancakes’ fluffiness.
The pancakes will go well with baked beans, avocado and eggs for a complete colourful, tasty and nutritious brunch dish.
We had them with smashed avocado.
Roughly mash a ripe but firm avocado add a squeeze of lemon to avoid it turning black as well as add a fresh tangy flavour, a pinch of salt, freshly ground black pepper and a sprinkle of paprika.
You can choose to have them with scrambled eggs…
… or a poached egg.
It is all up to you.
Yummy, colourful, healthy and filling. Try this for a delicious weekend breakfast option.