My son loves bananas. If there is one fruit that this household can never get enough of, it is this.
He likes helping me out a lot in the kitchen too and has a keen interest in how food comes together. I was therefore not too surprised when he asked to be taught how to bake banana bread.
He can fry up a mean egg. Helps in shopping (safely), stirring and cleaning up; he is my little sous chef and I am always happy to have the extra help.
So here is his banana bread Version. We used self raising flour, grated chocolate, coconut oil and love. Lots of love to make this heavenly coconut scented banana and chocolate loaf.
To make it you will need:-
- 11/2 cups self raising flour.
- 1/3 cup coconut oil.
- 1-1/2 cups of really ripe mashed banana.
- 2/3 cup brown sugar.
- 2 eggs.
- 1/4 cup unflavoured yoghurt.
- 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- 1tsp ground cinnamon.
- 1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate.
1.Mix the bananas, oil, egg, sugar and yoghurt together. Add in the vanilla and ground cinammon, then the flour. Fold in the chocolate last.
2. Pour into a greased or parchment lined loaf pan and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 35-40 minutes.
3. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, remove onto a rack to cool, and let rest 30 minutes before slicing.
The cake is moist, aromatic and so delicious, but not too sweet.
Perfect on its own, with some tea or hot chocolate, with some custard or vanilla ice cream.
It keeps well in a covered dish for a couple of days on the countertop, that is if you still have some leftover, which I doubt will happen.