This is one of my favorite ways to have beans. If you can make this ahead of time, and let it sit a bit for the flavours to settle in well is even better.
It goes well with any flatbread, rice or savoury crepes.
You can also make it spicy and add chillies or cayenne if that’s your thing.
To make this delicious meal we will need:-
- 2 tbsp coconut oil. Your preferred oil will do too.
- 2 -3 cups already boiled red beans.
- 1 chopped onion.
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste.
- 4 tomatoes, blanched, peeled and pureed.
- 1 large carrot, grated.
- 1 bunch of coriander, stems and leaves separated.
- 1 chopped green bell pepper.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Spices- 1 tsp each paprika, curry powder, dhana jeera powder.
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs.
- A small pinch of sugar (optional).
- 3 cups of water / vegetable stock.
The ingredients are simple, but healthy, flavourful and come together in a beautiful sauce that is finger licking good.
Add the green pepper, coriander stems and ginger garlic paste. Add the spices and let them release their aroma and flavour, make sure they do not burn. You can add a tbsp of water as the spices cook.
Once ready, add the chopped coriander leaves and let sit a while before serving.
This is a perfect make ahead dish as the longer it sits, the more time the flavours have to mix together well. So if you are into batch cooking, this simple bean stew is a great dish to make.
How do you like your beans?