Borani Banjan is a traditional Afghan recipe that has eggplants layered in a tomato sauce and topped with a garlic yoghurt sauce and dried mint. It is so simple to make but the flavours are complex and blend so wonderfully together to make what has become one of my top favorite ways to make eggplant. It is SO good, if you love eggplant as much as I do, you have to make it.
I have shared this dish before here, but felt that it. deserves its own post. Share the goodness right?
I like the recipe from Mazar Cuisine and it is always the one I use when making this dish, though I sometimes roast the eggplant in the oven instead of frying.
Our ingredients are:-
- 4 purple eggplants, thickly sliced and soaked in salty water to remove bitterness.
- 4 sliced tomatoes.
- 1 heaped teaspoon of tomato paste.
- Spices: 1 teaspoon each of paprika, ground coriander, ground turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon of ground red chilli.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 4 minced garlic cloves. (I used local garlic that has stronger flavour than imported one).
- 1 level tbsp of dried mint.
- I cup natural yoghurt.
- Cooking oil.
The best way to have this is with a decent flatbread that is great for scooping up the sauce and balances out the flavours too.
This is a must try dish!