This is a delicious, creamy curry that is filling and easy to make, which makes it ideal for a simple weeknight family dinner.
I used urad dal (split black gram) for this recipe but any other lentil will do.
Split black gram is a great source of minerals and fibre, as well as vitamins, fats and carbohydrates which make it an ideal meatless Monday option. It is rich in protein, vitamin B, folate, magnesium, potassium, iron and calcium.
First off, soak your lentils overnight then boil with a pinch of turmeric till tender. Drain and set aside.
For the curry we will need:-
- 2 cups of boiled split black gram
- 2 cups cubed pumpkin
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- Curry leaves (optional)
- 2 grated tomatoes
- Spices: turmeric, paprika, coriander powder, mixed spices, garam masala
- A pinch of kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup fresh cream, can be substituted with coconut cream
- Coriander leaves for garnish
Heat your pan, add the ghee, followed by the mustard and cumin seeds. Once they release their aroma and start to sputter, add the onion and cook till soft.
When almost ready, add your crushed fenugreek leaves and a cup of cream. You can use coconut cream if you wish. Mix in and garnish with coriander leaves.
This delicious curry goes down well with rice, chapati, naan, any flatbread will do.
Try it and enjoy!