This is a delicious and flavour full one pot meal that’s tasty, healthy and easy to make.
Chickpeas are rich in nutrients; a great source of protein which is perfect if you don’t want to use meat in the dish. The greens used here (amaranth and spinach) are also great sources of vitamins and protein too.
I like one pot rice meals such as this as they come together so fast and one can put in what’s available to make a tasty meal.
You will need:-
- 1 cup of rinsed and drained chickpeas.
- One large onion, chopped.
- Two tbsp coconut oil. Or ghee.
- 1 tsp cumin seeds and one bay leaf.
- One cup soaked basmati rice.
- Ginger garlic paste. A tbsp will do.
- 2tsp ground good quality pilau masala.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Greens of choice ( I bunch will do, chopped).
- Chopped coriander.
- 2 cups water or stock.
- Heat your pan and add your coconut oil as well as cumin seeds and bay leaf.
- Once they start sputtering, add onions, cook until starting to brown then add the ginger garlic paste. Mix well. Before adding the pilau masala.
- Next go in the coriander stalks and the chickpeas, as well as salt and pepper, followed by the chopped greens. I used a mix of amaranth leaves and spinach I had leftover from a previous meal.
- Add the rice and mix well. Then in goes your stock. Cover and simmer till all the water is drained and rice is cooked through.
Serve with a salad of your choice.
Perfect for a light dinner, quick lunch and a hit with the kids.
What’s not to love about this beautiful meal?